Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, July 5, 2008

    Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!!

    so, its the 4th of july, and we're a pretty patriotic family. we have a traditional BBQ in the backyard with whichever of our children happens to live by us at the time. now my backyard is more of a destination, than a place to store our crap, and its one of my favorite places to be. we live in the desert, but im not afraid to plant flowers, and i have torches, and lanterns and lots of candles placed better homes and gardens style here and there. a couple of weeks ago, my cabana boy and i bought this cute little iron and glass bistro table and two chairs for the "deck". ( its really a slab of concrete, but being a "mental traveler" i'm also a "mental deck owner", got a problem with that?) well, it didnt take me long to find a cute dragonfly candle holder, and a pretty little indoor-outdoor table mat to adorn my new bistro table with!! so, we decide its time to move the chips and salsa, glasses of wine, and all the kids outside for a nice little game of bacci. it's just before dark, and all of the torches, lanterns and candles are lit. the backyard looks amazing. i'm pretty pleased with myself, and everything looks and feels perfect. did i mention that it was kinda windy? oh yeah, it was kinda windy. odd, windy on the 4th of july? whatever...so were out on the grass, its my cabana boys turn to toss, and he looks over at my new bistro table and its clear there is something wrong with the picture. the wind had blown the chip bag onto the dragonfly candle holder which immediately burst into flames, inviting the new table mat to join them in thier patriotic explosion of color and light!! what the? arent 4th of july fires supposed to involve faulty gas grills, or fireworks, or lots of intoxication mixed with fautly gas grill or fireworks? CHIPS AND SALSA AND DRAGONFLY DECORATIONS? are you kidding me? well, my cabana boy grabbed the hose, and my son grabbed the baby, the dog was barking like his life depended upon it, and as quickly as it began, it was over. so was the bacci game. oh, i salvaged the dragonfly candle holder. the bistro table is unscathed, but the chips and the mat? may they rest in peace...

    4 comments:

    zephyrsarah said...

    Ha!!! I heard about this... wish I could have seen it.
    We had a fire free evening, which is actually pretty surprising!!!

    Cuties on Top said...

    Haha!! Oh no your poor mat and chips!! Im glad the table and candle were unharmed though!! It sounds like you have a fun weekend! How are things going? I miss you tonz!

    Anonymous said...

    That's a funny story!I'm suprized your cabana boy didn't move faster!!What was he doing any way??Isn't he supost to be on the clock? cheese and rice!!got dandrife,some of it itches.Any way,the next time you want to play with fire in a wind storm you need to call fire marshal bill and get some'let me show you something' tips! After all if your going to burn down something you should go big!!!! love your cabana boy.

    2 little heroes said...

    Hi Mom! Your stories are hilarious! I have a few questions about all this shizz! Call me or shoot me an email! I Love ya!